Wednesday, April 28, 2010

My Paper Heart: Deluxe Edition - Francesca Battistelli




For those of you who have been reading my blog a year, you might remember my mixed review for Francesca Battistelli's debut "My Paper Heart" which I wrote last April. Now, two years since it's release and with no sophomore project projected to arrive any time soon, I suppose Word Records realized that the fans are wanting new music, and a deluxe edition just might tide them over. And it just might.

Since I have already reviewed her first album (which is also included in the disc) I will only be talking and rating the new music here. Beginning the "Dented Fender Sessions" with a pure pop/country remix of "Free to Be Me," and I was surprised at the nice selection of instruments and overall styling of this great piece. Francesca's vocals astounded me with a more down to earth feel, and the accordion and steel guitar in the background added some flavor as well. My favorite track follows up, with a soft jazz version of her hit "I'm Letting Go," and it is here that I think she sounds like herself the best of all. If her next record consists of more tunes like this, her initial pop feel might be one upped by this unique mix of heartfelt lyrics and smooth mid-tempo approach.

While there are some down points to this disc (the new tries at "Beautiful, Beautiful" and "It's Your Life" sound just like acoustic versions of the originals) most of the introduced material here is worthy of mention. Another adaption of the now-classic worship song "Lead Me to the Cross" may not have been nessesary, but at the same time, why not? What most fans will be excited to hear the most is her only all-original track "Keeping Me Guessing," and even though it is an acoustic edition, it doesn't take much to see through it's somewhat weak production to perceive that this could soon be a radio darling, much in the footsteps of her earlier singles.

So even though I usually don't usually enjoy remix albums, this one will strike a chord with her listeners, especially while they wait for her future second disc. And even though it may be a while until then, this genuinly outstanding EP will hopefully be enough to keep her at the top of her game, and the inventive spirit I sense throughout is another positive to look for in her next attempt. ~ Christian Lingner

No comments:

Post a Comment