Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Light Up the Sky - The Afters


4 (5) - better than most

The Afters third main label release may not be the best pop album I have heard this year, but I must say it was an enjoyable listen nearly for top to bottom, even if less than original. Having been accused of being a sound-alike band for years, this quartet has now come out and established where it belongs: on the radio. Debuting their new slick rock sound, it is obvious that this band is headed for the airwaves and their title track "Light Up the Sky," a smash hit already, is proving that this approach could pay off.

Beginning on an upbeat note, the lead single I mentioned before was not exactly what I expected. I'm not sure what I was thinking really but I'm guessing a guitar-driven, gritty approach would have felt more like it. But aside from being surprised, I was having fun with the lightweight pop chorus and big beats in the background. The follow-up "Lift Me Up" was a bit of a downer, sounding much like a revamping of the first, but I kept up the hope through it, knowing that often the second half is better than the previous one.

I didn't have to wait that long. In fact, the fourth on the listing "Runaway" was by far the best I'd heard to this point. I had been hoping for a more mid-tempo tune and this one was worth the wait, as it's impacting words and melody combined took me to thoughts of Brandon Heath and Tenth Avenue North. A little farther into the CD I found "Say It Now," and about this time I was starting to realize how much I was liking these tunes. I found that maybe some things are great without having all the best ingredients, because while this compilation may not have all the best songs and production, the words are good and the production and is good and that the album was really good. The Afters have put out an effort that has left me looking for more of them in the future and I hope they stay with this style for now on. I recommend it, especially for those who like what it coming out of their radio these days. ~ Christian Lingner

No comments:

Post a Comment